I have been making fabric jewelry for a few years and it has been a learning curve, a lot of “try this, no that didn’t work, let’s try it this way this time”. There aren’t a lot of jewelry artists that specialize in fabric or textile jewelry but I absolutely adore it. It’s soft to the skin and pliable (at times too much so) to work with.
- Cut fabric to desired width and length.
- With fronts facing each other, sew entire length.
- Turn inside out and iron.
- Cut in half so pair of earrings are same length.
- Fold in half and fuse with fusible web.
- Add ribbon clamps.
- Finish with beads and earrings finding of choice.
Prior to fabric jewelry, I concentrated on gemstones and it took me about 5 years to find my style. I’m guessing it took just a little bit less for fabric jewelry. This year I have focused on producing a collection that has various price points, which is a little challenging because fabric jewelry is more labor intensive than gemstone jewelry. I hope the above steps are helpful. Please share your creations or post any questions you may have J